A few weeks ago, some friends of our, treated us to some awesome kai for dinner. White-tail Deer and Chamois leg meat. We decided to make a delicious slow cooked curry. I through in some plums as we had so many on our fruits trees around the house.
I thought I'd share the recipe, this is super easy to make and would work with many types of red meat.
- Meat knife
- Large bowl
- Deep cast iron pan
- Slow cooker
- Food blender - I use a Kenwood with cutting blade
- 1kg of white-tail and/or chamois muscle meat
- Olive oil
- 2 brown onions
- 2 tsp of garlic
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 6 small plums – stones removed
- 2 teaspoon of garam masala
- 2 teaspoon of hot curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of meat masala
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 2 cups of dry rice
Whitetail, Chamois & Plum Curry
- Gather a kilo of Whitetail and/or Chamois muscle meat. (Leg meat is excellent for this)
- Wash with cold water, pat dry.
- Remove sinew and cut into ½ inch – 1 inch cubes.
- Set up slow cooker.
- Heat deep cast iron pan on high
- Place meat into bowl than lightly oil, generously season with salt and pepper.
- Braise meat in iron pan for the best result do this in batches.
- Once each batch is braised put it into the slow cooker. Make sure to drain off any extra juice in the pan between batches into the slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker on low heat.
- Prepare food blender with a cutting blade.
- Peel brown onion and quarter. Blend the onion in to fine pieces.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, plums, garam masala, meat masala, ground cumin, hot curry powder and tomato paste into blender. Blend in a rough paste.
- Add to slow cooker. Cook on high for at least 3 hours until meat has tender and sauce has thickened.
- Serve with cooked rice.